Our purpose is to make great financial decision making a breeze for everyone, and that purpose drives us every day.
It’s why we’re on a mission to create an automated quoting engine, with the simplest of experiences, wrapped in a brand everyone loves!
We change lives by making it simple to switch and save money. So, when it comes to getting a better deal, it’s never been more blindingly obvious why you would choose Compare the Market.
We’d love you to be part of our journey.
As a Staff Engineer for Compare the Market’s diverse money products portfolio, you will play an instrumental role in shaping the future of financial product comparison. Your architectural expertise and guidance will be the cornerstone in realising our vision for a holistic and integrated financial product solution that spans loans, credit cards, current accounts, savings accounts, mortgages, and more.
Leveraging your deep knowledge of financial product architectures, you will influence strategic decisions, ensuring that the tools and technologies we adopt not only enhance but also revolutionize our service offering. Your role is deeply technical, yet it transcends beyond the code. Your zest for innovation and mastery of new technologies will inspire the team, while your mentorship will amplify their capabilities.
With a comprehensive understanding of financial services and products, you will be pivotal in driving customer success and generating positive commercial outcomes. Your commitment to engineering excellence will not be confined to your business area; it will extend across Compare the Market, where you will contribute to and elevate company-wide engineering standards, processes, and tools.
Everyone is welcome.
We have a culture of creativity. We approach our work passionately, improve constantly and celebrate our wins at every turn. We are an inclusive workplace, and our employees are comfortable bringing their authentic, whole selves to work. Everyone is welcome. Be you.
This means we’re excited to hear from people with a range of skills, experiences, and ideas. We don’t expect you to tick all the boxes but would love you to hear what makes you great for this role.
Some of the great things you will be doing:
As an accomplished Staff Engineer, your proven track record will show substantial involvement in developing and refining applications central to business and consumer-facing financial products, such as loans, credit cards, current accounts, savings accounts, and mortgages. Your contributions should have tangibly elevated product quality and customer satisfaction. In this role:
• You will exert a broad influence across teams, elevating engineering standards within the domain of financial products and fostering a culture of technical excellence.
• Your role in aligning cross-functional teams ensures that best practices and architectural decisions are transparent and collectively upheld, particularly within the complex financial services landscape.
• You're adept at crafting and communicating short to medium-term strategies for our financial services and products. Your ability to design clear roadmaps and align stakeholders is essential for managing change within this dynamic sector.
• You will offer strategic direction, sage advice, and practical guidance on delivering top-tier financial services and products. Collaborating with engineering teams to assess and adopt emerging technologies will be critical for simplifying and enhancing our software, processes, and tools.
• As a staunch advocate for engineering excellence within the financial domain, you'll drive the adoption of wide-reaching engineering standards, processes, and tools, setting new benchmarks for quality and reliability.
• Your input will be vital in assessing and integrating standards, processes, and tools across all of Compare the Market, ensuring a cohesive and robust technological infrastructure.
• You will contribute insightful technical analysis to planning and business case development, ensuring we invest in high-impact initiatives.
• Your decision-making will be informed by a risk-based approach, which you will also instil in other engineers. This includes thoroughly considering our risk controls in software delivery, which is vital for maintaining trust and integrity in financial services.
• A deep understanding of the regulatory landscape governing financial products is expected. You'll need to ensure that our engineering practices are compliant and that you can guide your colleagues to understand and apply these regulations in their roles.
What we want to see from you:
• Robust experience in Product/Software Engineering, with a portfolio demonstrating your impact on financial product development and optimisation.
• Direct experience working within a financial institution, focusing on a broad array of money products and services, including but not limited to loans, credit cards, current accounts, savings accounts, and mortgages.
• A collaborative approach to technical leadership, with experience in rallying engineering teams around a shared technical vision and delivering on it.
• A history of making informed technical and architectural decisions, reflecting an understanding of both customer needs and the commercial landscape of financial services.
• An autonomous go-getter with persuasive influencing and negotiation skills, capable of effectively managing relationships with a diverse set of stakeholders.
• A proponent of lean methodologies with a zeal for coding and a drive to innovate through research and development in cutting-edge technologies.
• A commitment to continuous learning and staying abreast of the latest trends and advancements in both financial products and technology.
• A disciplined approach to governance and standards, with a passion for advancing engineering excellence within Compare the Market.
Our people bring our purpose to life.
We celebrate a culture of innovation and collaboration. With a team of over 300 skilled professionals, we embrace the latest tools and technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes, AWS, Kafka, Java, Scala, Python, .Net Core, Node.js, and MongoDB.
There’s something for everyone.
We’re a place of opportunity. You’ll have the tools and autonomy to drive your own career, supported by a team of amazingly talented people.
And then there’s our benefits. For us, it’s not just about a competitive salary and hybrid working, we care about what matters to you. From a generous holiday allowance and private healthcare to an electric car scheme and paid development, wellbeing, and CSR days, we’ve pretty much got you covered!
'We are committed to offering equal chances to you throughout the application process, so if you require any special adjustments to be made, please let us know. We will work with you to make any appropriate arrangements.’